Sunday, June 12, 2011

2011 is the New 2006

It's almost midnight now, and in the words of David Foster Wallace, I'm trying to form a sort of "sensuous collage" of this NBA Finals experience. I'm not sure I'm able to process every aspect of it now, but I do know a few things. 

For instance, I know that this is more complex than just my favorite team making it to the Championship series, and then beating team x for their first NBA title. The attendant story lines are too numerous and complex.

I know that with Dirk now 32 years old, and playing uncommonly good basketball, this was perhaps his last chance at wiping away the 2006 Finals and finally being an NBA Champion.

I know that the Heat had more talent than the Mavericks, and that Dallas would have had to play ice cold basketball to win each of the four games required to clinch the series. (And actually, the real description of what the Mavs needed to do each game would be something closer to "hot ice." That's what they needed--to heat up the ice cubes. And they did.)

I know that Miami represents an evil empire of sorts. Less because of LeBron's decision, or their preseason pep rally, and more because they were evolving into an absolute juggernaut. Think New York Yankees of the mid to late 90s and early 2000s. It's difficult to imagine any team stopping them from winning three or four titles in the next five or six years. If Dallas couldn't succeed while the big 3 were still learning to play together their first season, it would have painted a bleak picture for all teams not from Miami.

I know that Dirk Nowitzki is my favorite basketball player ever. He played hurt, he played sick, he pushed through patches where his shot wasn't quite on, he rose above childish taunting from Wade and James, and absolutely owned the fourth quarter all series long. 

I know that I lost sleep in 2006. It was so devastating that I changed the way I rooted for my favorite sports teams. From that point on, I went into each postseason expecting teams to lose as a defense mechanism; winning in the playoffs only meant more opportunities to lose in the future, only with the circumstances even more heart wrenching. After being up 2-0 in '06, I was determined not to be fooled again.

I know that now, my outlook is much more optimistic. It's not always going to turn out badly. Sometimes, it turns out to be magical.

In a way, the Mavericks couldn't have asked for a better way for it all to play out--meeting the Heat again, Dwyane Wade again. Dropping the first game, stealing the second in historic fashion. Then, down 2 games to 1, they reel off three insta-classic victories to bury a more talented Heat team than their 2006 predecessor and vanquish the bad memories in the process.

Incredible. Unbelievable. And man, do I. Love. Sports.

1 comment:

  1. I would have to say that I got caught up in the drama... and anyone who knows me would know that 1. I dont care much about professional sports and 2. I care even less about Basketball.

    These blogs posts have helped me conceptualize the drama and thus helped me get caught up in it. Congrats to the Mavs on a series exceptionally done.

    Good posts, D. Keep em coming.

    ReplyDelete